Most schools no longer sharpen 2.0 pencils and provide hundreds of pieces of paper in order to prepare for student testing. Online testing is increasingly becoming the popular form of standardized testing. The idea is for convenience, saving time and error and conserving paper in the process.
With this new form of testing comes new problems. While using digital devices to test hundreds of kids is supposed to make things easier, sometimes it can feel like the technology isn’t working in your favor.
We at Pine Cove understand this, which is why we provided 10 simple solutions to help create stronger connectivity and make sure the technology is a benefit instead of a nuisance – during testing and other crucial times.
Top 10 Ways to Prepare Your District’s WiFi for Future Online Testing
- Turn WiFi off in certain areas that aren’t testing and don’t need it.
- Turn off WiFi completely when unnecessary. Sometimes students test in only one place- turn off WiFi everywhere but in the designated labs.
- Use cloud-based wireless management. This allows you to have central control.
- Cloud-based wireless management allows for scheduling WiFi at certain times during the week. On testing week, you can even schedule WiFi to turn on and off in certain areas without having to remember every day.
- Schedule connectivity on devices such as wireless printers, guest access, and test times.
- Use Firewall and Layer 7 Traffic Shaping to throttle applications, devices, and websites to control and prioritize bandwidth.
- Traffic Shaping helps you control and redirect bandwidth from certain sites and apps.
- Use MDM and system management tools to enable and disable small applications that can affect connectivity and bandwidth; such as chat, webcams, voice dialing, etc.
- MDM and system management tools allow you to turn small applications on and off in one location, instead of going through every device.
- Have questions or problems? Contact your experts at Pine Cove Consulting or check out other blog posts about this subject. We want to make sure you will have smoother testing, now and in the future.
Pine Cove wants your district to have the best experience with your technology. The best way to help your district is knowing what the issues are and what seems to work, and this information often comes from you as our client. Our consultants are here around the clock to diagnose and fix major issues. If you would like more information or have suggestions, please contact us.